London braced for ‘biggest protest in UK history’ against Trump visit, as celebrities and politicians throw support behind demo

Share Button

Celebrities, activists and politicians are rallying for the “biggest protest in British history” on London’s streets against Donald Trump’s visit to the UK.

‘Dump Trump’: Campaigners, politicians and celebrities have thrown support behind more protests against the US leader’s UK visit AFP/Getty Images

It comes as the US leader claimed he will travel to Britain for an official state visit in October this year, and that he was invited by Theresa May twice.

Campaigners have vowed to stage the “biggest” demonstration in the capital that the UK has ever seen, as politicians and celebrities joined to speak out against the visit.

One Facebook event planned for next month has already seen more than 21,000 people sign up to express an interest in the demo against the President’s planned trip.

David Lammy, Labour MP for Tottenham, was among those calling for a large-scale demo. Responding to news of the visit, he wrote on Twitter: “To be met by the biggest protest this country has ever seen. Who’s in?”

Celebrities such as Stephen Fry, and organisations such as Abortion Support Network, Help Refugees and Operation Black Vote have all voice support for a huge protest.

Fry wrote on Twitter that he had thrown his support behind campaign group Top Trump Targets, adding: “We’re coming together to build a better Britain by standing with those Trump targets”.

The US President told Piers Morgan that Prime Minister Mrs May has invited him “twice”, and that he will travel to Britain for both state and working visits in 2018.

Morgan said he asked Trump if he would be coming to the UK as they sat down for an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, which is set to be broadcast in full on ITV on Sunday evening.

Protesters took to the streets across the globe to rally against sexual harassment, inequality and Donald Trump (EPA)

After Trump and May held talks in Davos earlier this week, Downing Street confirmed that details of a visit by the US President to the UK later this year were being finalised.

In June, the White House denied that a state visit, which typically includes a banquet with the Queen, has been delayed over fears of mass protests and his popularity in Britain.

The White House said the following month that the state visit had been postponed until 2018 but gave no explanation as to why.

Mr Trump has already cancelled a planned trip to London next month for the official opening of the new US embassy building in Nine Elms.

He said he had abandoned the trip because he disapproved of the location and price of the new embassy.

Mrs May controversially extended the offer of a state visit to the UK when she became the first world leader to meet Mr Trump in the White House following his inauguration last year.

via : standard.co.uk

 

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.